Saturday, November 6, 2010

Excerpts from my book

Hi everybody, its been quite a while. I have been busy with a lot of things, among others writing a book and being a father. Well. this week i want to share something from my recently published book, Being Positive in a Negative World: Spiced Weekly Nuggets, just to appetize you. Enjoy. Week 8

As I begin this week’s nugget, I would like to use the words of American researcher and Virologist, Jonas Salk as an ignition to start the engine. “I have had dreams and I have had nightmares, but I have conquered my nightmares because of my dreams.”

Show me a miserable, hopeless person who has given up on life and I will show you somebody who doesn't have or has given up on his dream. Every successful person in life started first as a dreamer.

“When I grow up, I want to be a doctor”. “When I grow up, I want to be a lawyer”, “When I grow up; I want to be a pilot”. These are choruses of innocence that echo through the walls of elementary schools. Children have dreams while adults have problems. Most of the children speak about their dreams while adults are crying and complaining about their bad experiences. Famous Spanish painter Pablo Picasso described it well when he said, “Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.”

It’s a tragedy that many adults have allowed their dreams to be shrunk by their experiences. A lot of their dreams have been canned in the containers of excuses, fear and past experiences. Instead of pursuing their dreams, many have resigned themselves to a life of survival by contributing to other people’s dreams. Some have even become admirers and spectators of what others have achieved through their dreams. “It is impossible”, “life is tough”, has become some of the quotes used by most adults. A lot of them have abandoned their childhood desire of enjoying life by living their dream; they have instead, opted to live a restrictive, miserable and frustrating life of contributing to other people’s dreams. There is an Australian Aborigine proverb which says, “Those who lose dreaming are lost,” because life without a dream is meaningless. It is like drinking a cup of strong coffee without milk and sugar. A dream is the only sweetener that will bring taste to your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment